Further Safety Measures
At db Hotels + Resorts, nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our customers, visitors and staff. Throughout our facilities, we are putting a great deal of emphasis on the procedures that support our high standards in the areas of cleanliness and health, and to maintain a safe and healthy environment. Some of the most important areas of focus are:
Supplementing our existing POSI protocol with coronavirus-specific guidance;
In addition to the Prevention of Spread of Infection [POSI] Manual, the Group issued internal Covid-19 prevention and control protocols, specific for each department throughout its facilities. These protocols were formulated in line with guidance issued by National and International Health Authorities, as well as recognised guidance documents. Said departmental protocols include, but are not limited to:
- Reception & Front of House;
- Food & Beverage;
- Housekeeping [Public Areas & Rooms];
- Maintenance; Indoor / Outdoor Pool and Pool Related Areas;
- Spa [Beauty Treatments & Massage];
- Gym & Fitness Centre;
- db Group Offices & Back of House.
Entrusting our Emergency Response Teams [ERT] to ensure monitoring and verification of procedures;
In line with our POSI manual, senior hotel management and heads of department have been entrusted to make sure that:
- Preventive measures are implemented as required by the Group manual;
- An adequate supply of personal protective equipment, sanitising and cleaning items are distributed daily throughout all departments;
- Sufficient staff members are employed, allocated and rostered in working groups;
- Staff, visitors and clients abide by preventive measures put in place with minimum disruption for holidaymakers.
Increase in frequency of internal auditing;
Further to the above day to day monitoring carried out by the ERT members, the frequency of unannounced audits and spot checks by our internal and third-party auditors has been increased. This will make sure that all legal and safety protocols such as HACCP, Fire Safety, First Aid and Environmental procedures are not overlooked because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Thus, ensuring you truly get the quality holiday you deserve.
Complete review and modification of operations to accommodate preventive measures;
Since the beginning of the pandemic, our internal experts and third-party consultants were well aware that the Hotels’ operations will have to be adapted to a new ‘normality’. Without compromising the all-inclusive quality service, the db Hotels & Resorts is renowned for, the below listed are but few examples of the measures that are implemented;
- Reduction in pools, restaurants, bars and theatre patron capacity;
- Remodelling of the restaurants’ service from self-service buffet to assisted buffet service to eliminate food handling;
- Creating multiple service periods that need to be pre-booked upon arrival in order to stagger flows in restaurants;
- Removal of all items that cannot be easily washed and/or sanitised throughout the premises;
- Rooms are blocked for a specified period, even though deep cleaning and disinfection has been carried out after guest departure;
- Distribution of alcohol-based sanitisers and disposable towels for client use in public areas;
Applying procedures for the quick identification and notification of possible cases;
The db Hotels & Resorts has put in place detailed measures to respond immediately, appropriately, effectively and efficiently, and consistent with specific recommendations from public health authorities.
Reviewed and implemented a firmer ‘Sickness and Return to Work Policy’ amongst employees;
Recent studies indicate that Covid-19 symptoms may manifest days after encountering the virus. Keeping this in mind, we cannot risk that the virus is transmitted by a member of our staff. It is for this reason that illness-related policies have been revised and communicated throughout all departments. The below listed are amongst the measures listed under the revised policy;
- Newly / currently employed staff members, who require traveling to the island to start/continue working with the Group, are to undergo a 14-day quarantine period before being allowed to commence report for work. If any symptoms develop during said period, then the employee is to undergo a swab test and only be permitted to work once declared virus-free by the authorities;
- Employees who are not feeling well are to stay at home, contact the National Authorities and only be allowed to return to work once declared virus-free following the swab test. In case of any difficulties, the employee is to phone his / her supervisor and will be assisted accordingly.
Detailed training and constant updates to all staff;
We are more than aware that our employees stand as front liners in these challenging times. It is for this reason that no expense has been spared in training all our staff on Covid-19 prevention and control measures. All teams are further receiving ongoing updates and enhanced operating protocols when necessary. We are particularly focussing on:
- Introduction on the SARS-CoV-2 Virus, Covid-19 disease and how this is spread;
- Rigorous hand washing and sanitising technique;
- Importance to avoid touching own faces, eyes, mouth and nose;
- Donning, doffing and care of PPE;
- Cough and sneeze etiquette;
- Measures put in place vis-à-vis guests and symptoms;
- Reporting of Covid-19 exposure, symptoms and Health Promotion and Disease Control contact;
- Return and exemption from work policy;
- Personal protection;
- The importance of social distancing;
- Departmental oriented specific training.
Extra cleaning and disinfection measures;
It is well known that one of the most important measures to prevent the spread of a disease is to implement a strict regime of cleaning and disinfection protocols throughout the premises. The Group, following consultation with suppliers, ensured that all equipment, chemicals and PPE are suitable for the task at hand. Frequency of cleaning and disinfection has been increased in the back of house, guest rooms and public areas, with particular focus on commonly touched surfaces.
Providing patrons a safer environment;
In line with guidance issued by relevant bodies; multiple signs, floor markings and physical barriers have been installed to maintain “social distancing”. In addition, the Group affixed numerous posters in prominent places, such as facility entrance points, to inform clients of measures put in place in that particular facility.
Lastly, and most importantly, we remain vigilant in learning more about this disease by monitoring developments issued by the WHO and ECDC closely, and keeping informed of requirements issued by the National Health Authorities. Since this guidance may change from time to time, we suggest you check our website periodically prior to your planned stay, to inform of any updates or changes.
We are committed to doing what’s right to protect our customers and associates, and to do our part in preventing transmission of the Covid-19 disease.